Gamers.org Community Forums  

Go Back   Gamers.org Community Forums > Archives > Misc. Discussions Archive

View Poll Results: Have you ever modded your PC?
Yes, water cooling 0 0%
Yes, cut outs 3 12.00%
Yes, LED lights 6 24.00%
Yes, Decals/painted cases 3 12.00%
Yes, other 7 28.00%
No, but I will in the future 3 12.00%
No, and I have no plan to do so 12 48.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19th, 2007, 01:12 am   #1
Rob
Administrator

PotD - Mon 3/19/07 Have you ever modded your PC?

I had my pre-modded with a neon light, but nothing fancy or anything I have ever done.

Submitted by Chylde

[This poll allows multiple selections]
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:14 am   #2
Sno
4 8 15 16 23 42

I have a blue neon light in my case.

It's a green case, unfortunately.

It's pretty hideous.

Somebody should have stopped me.

*Cries*
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:18 am   #3
Rafal Dudek
Supreme Leader

Not a PC but I did mod my original launch xbox with a modchip and some fancy LED's =P

Your today is yesterday’s consequences. Your yesterday laid the foundation for today. Your beliefs and the actions triggered from those beliefs have delivered you to your today, your now, and your life. If you’re not happy in your life now, it’s time to STOP and reflect on the road you’re traveling and how you got there—and then change roads..
Rafal Dudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:34 am   #4
Kalbrecht
Director, Conspiracy P/L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno
I have a blue neon light in my case.

It's a green case, unfortunately.

It's pretty hideous.

Somebody should have stopped me.

*Cries*

My eyes! Ze goggles do nothing!

Good god man, what year do you think this is??? Next you'll be telling us you still use a PS/2 mouse or something similar...

In answer to the topic: only small mods - fans, coolers, replaced the video card cooler with a neon lit one, that sort of thing. Small things.

DOOM IS ON XBOX!
Kalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:17 am   #5
Eddie Ismail
Kick Ass!!!

My PC case is hidden pretty well under in the floor next to my desk and under a stack of external perephirals, I don't think the even I have seen it in the past couple of months.

I don't know if this counts, but I have glued my business card on the case of my PC at work, in my office, so I would have the office fax number within reach.

Eddie Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:30 am   #6
O'C

Nothing for me, other than the occasional caffeinated keyboard.
O'C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:34 am   #7
Karlsweldt

"Slight" mods, but nothing showy or considered to be eye-candy.
The mods I made were a "stack" over the CPU cooler fan, from a styrofoam cup that had its bottom cut out. I cut the top so it would fit down over the fan, and is held in place with clear duct tape. It extends the air intake about 3" higher, and the CPU does run about 5°C. cooler than before! And I fashioned an "exhaust deflector" on the rear of the case over the PSU exhaust. Just a piece of heavy card stock (a box with two sides missing), but it directs the exhaust up and away from the back. The case sits on the desk against a wall, with its back to another wall. The exhaust was sucked back into the case's vents at the rear.
Karlsweldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:45 am   #8
Ojnod
System Moderator

Yeah I used to be in to all that stuff but now I just want a computer that works. Good custom mods are fun to look at but I can't stand the pre-cut cases and stuff like that anymore. That was cool about 5 years ago when any case that wasn't beige was "in". It reminds me of putting body kits and muffler caps on a Honda Civic.
Ojnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:21 pm   #9
Lou Cypher
System Moderator

If maybe putting in a lighted Fan is modding, yes I might mod my next case.

Lou
Antec P180B Advanced Super Mid-Tower, EVGA 122-CK-NF68-REV A1 nForce 680i SLI, Intel C2D E6850, G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ, EVGA e-GeForce GTX 275, Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB, Coolermaster Real power pro 850W, Liteon SHD-16P1S 16X IDE DVD-ROM Drive, BenQ DW1655 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive (Lightscribe), Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Logitech G51 5.1 Speakers, G500 Mouse and G15 KB, Win7 64bit home premium
Lou Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:10 pm   #10
Circlebreaker
System Moderator

I have a beige case ... that probably says enough.
and watchfires under stars, the sleep
and the road again."
- Unknown author, Hitch-hikers guide to Europe
Circlebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:25 pm   #11
Cloudw4lker
Apocrypha

Lights all around! Although it came like it, I have a changing light on the front, two tubes also going down the front that are lit. Inside there are 2 fans with 3 LEDs on them (the red died on one of em). I also added a UV light because I *had* an HIS video card (they glow with UV) however it broke (the video card) so I ended up getting a Powercolor one instead.

*goes to take a picture*

Here we are:

Adding a Thermal Take CPU Cooler in a few minutes...

With the Thermal Take Golden Orb II fan:

Last edited by Cloudw4lker; March 19th, 2007 at 06:36 pm.
Cloudw4lker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:51 pm   #12
Shoboy
Barely hanging in there but I try

I took this old Antec case and cut it open with a hole saw to fit two 120mm steelcase fans and used a 3" hole saw for a smaller case fan mounted on the outside. I had no room in the case to put the side fan cause my two 8800gts's take up too much room side-to-side. But it's out of the way on my floor, so it sticking out is no big deal at all. The top two fans are on thier own powercord. I only use em when I'm gaming. The side and lower front case fans bring in enough air for normal websurfing. You can see that I duct taped the upper half of the air vents on the side panels. This caused the air to rush in in a bottom to top flow pattern, coming across all my parts and cooling them off. It looks FUGLY as hell, but I'll tell ya, it works great. It's only obvious that I built it with function in mind, not looks and fashion

XP Pro, C2D e6700, Typhoon VX cpu cooler, XFX 680i mobo, 2 Leadtek 8800gts in sli, 4gb Corsair ddr2_800, Audigy Se, Antec 650wtps, Antec 1200 case, MX518mouse, 5300 5.1's, WD Blue 250gb with XP and another with Win7 as main OS drives, WD blue 640gb data, 1tb hitachi hdd storage, 24" lcd
Shoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:29 am   #13
Joe Cool
Gamey

Nothing.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:08 pm   #14
Chylde Roland
?

My last case had LEDs and cutouts, and I added a ton of decals. Now I have an Antec P180, and I just can't bring myself to alter it in any way.
Chylde Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:18 am   #15
Karlsweldt

Those case-top fans should have some sort of guard to prevent debris or tiny fingers from getting into the blades! A bit of hardware cloth (wire mesh with 1/4" spacing) would do if the true guards cannot be had.
For the more blade-type fans we add to any system, the noise level will increase. That is due to the air stream impinging on the support webs of the drive motor. If it can be done, a small squirrel-cage type fan would be quieter and more efficient.
Karlsweldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:34 pm   #16
Shoboy
Barely hanging in there but I try

my case is out of the way, and the upstairs is MY area! No one comes up here but me!!!!!!!

As for noise, it's actually not that loud. It's set back between my desk and the wall, kind of quiet actually. I just pulled it out of there for the pics..........

I got metal guards for em, just never put em on yet.........
XP Pro, C2D e6700, Typhoon VX cpu cooler, XFX 680i mobo, 2 Leadtek 8800gts in sli, 4gb Corsair ddr2_800, Audigy Se, Antec 650wtps, Antec 1200 case, MX518mouse, 5300 5.1's, WD Blue 250gb with XP and another with Win7 as main OS drives, WD blue 640gb data, 1tb hitachi hdd storage, 24" lcd
Shoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:42 pm   #17
DanTheManPR
Master of Reality

If by modding you mean rip out all that obnoxious led lighting from this used computer that i bought...

Seriously, what is the attraction of these lights? I just want my computer to sit in its little corner and not bother me with lights and noise Trash