Gamers.org Community Forums  

Go Back   Gamers.org Community Forums > Misc. Discussions > The Lounge

Old October 19th, 2017, 11:31 am   #1
shizakapayou

Well....

Title is what it is because really, I haven't figured out how to start with this.

I'm headed to the hospital soon. A colonoscopy last week revealed a large mass in my lower colon which was then found to be cancer. They'll remove about six inches. I'll be in for four days and probably not working a few weeks. I'm only 33 so this is young, but based on the scope and a CT scan things look good.

Anyway, that's that. I've already got tons of great support but i suppose a few more good vibes couldn't hurt.
shizakapayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 05:04 am   #2
RangerRick
SysMod

Hi Shiz,
Man, that really sucks, but sounds like they caught it early enough.
What made you get a colonoscopy to begin with if I may ask, especially at your age.

You should bounce back pretty quickly at your age, so here is to a quick recovery. Prayers for that to happen!

All the best!

Rich

PC specs-
Intel I7 920, ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, 6gb Gskill Tri-channel Memory, LianLi PC-60 case, Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt ps, 1- 250gb Seagate perpendicular disk drive, 1- 640gb Seagate disk drive, XFS GTX260 Black Edition, Creative 5.1 speakers, and a ASUS MS238H LED, full HD monitor(23").
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 03:52 pm   #3
Bruenor

Damn, the positive is that it was caught early and things look positive.

Sending out the good vibes to you Shiz.
Bruenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:26 pm   #4
shizakapayou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
What made you get a colonoscopy to begin with if I may ask, especially at your age.
I've had abdominal pain and constipation at least since the beginning of the year. My gallbladder was removed in February, but after a short time symptoms came back. Digestive problems after gallbladder removal are normal so it went on a few months before my doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist. They decided to start with the colonoscopy.

After surgery Thursday, I was in the hospital until earlier today, when I finally got to go home. I'm still extremely sore, but am mobile, and have moved back to a regular diet. I'll be out of work for a few weeks still and can't lift anything for six weeks, which is probably about how long it'll take to feel fairly normal. However, the best part is the pathology report came today. It was classified as stage 1b, had not spread to lymph nodes, and the surgeon sees no reason I'd need continued treatment. He refers all cancer patients to an oncologist out of protocol, but that should be for covering any additional testing (including genetic) in my case; for now chemo is not on the table.

Thanks guys.
Old October 28th, 2017, 08:00 am   #5
Mighty Pirate
Caroline

Good grief - what a shocking thing to go through. I read only this week that colon cancer has the highest recovery/survival rate but I'm sure you've read every web page about your condition since the diagnosis. I'm glad you're in the clear and I hope you really do rest and take things easy and let your body heal. Wouldn't hurt to get some gaming hours in, eh? Take care.
Mighty Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:36 pm   #6
shizakapayou

I really haven't had the heart to look into it too much, to be honest. Once my wife did that and found adenocarcinoma (what I had) is considered the 'best' to have plus the general rates for colon cancer, I didn't really want to know more. Of course now that the operation is done I'm feeling better about that sort of thing too.

I've put in a bit of gaming time in Mass Effect Andromeda, but most of my relaxing time has been with my iPad in a recliner in our bedroom. That's been mostly Kindle and some Netflix/Amazon Video. It's been nice, really, to rest so much.
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:33 pm   #7
pcfreak

I'm pretty useless in what to say when it comes to bad news, so all I can say is I hope the recovery goes well and really sending you best wishes. Crap news

Make the most of the rest, enjoy the gaming! I've got to the point where my reflexes don't come anywhere near those of a juvenile so I get my arse served to me on a plate playing FPS'es online so I've pretty much given up nowadays. I have the odd hour every once in a flood on a game or two.
pcfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:04 pm   #8
shizakapayou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak View Post
I'm pretty useless in what to say when it comes to bad news, so all I can say is I hope the recovery goes well and really sending you best wishes. Crap news
Thanks, I appreciate it. I had my followup with the surgeon and everything is healing well. Also, I am happy to say I've seen an oncologist and there's no chemo in my future. Based on pathology, there's a fair chance this was hereditary, so blood work and the tumor are being sent for genetic testing. That'll affect what I do long term (basically, a few annual colonoscopies vs. annual forever, plus other screening) as well as tell us if others in my family need to be checked. Hopefully it's just a weird, random occurrence, but short term I'm recovering well. I've managed some half days of work, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak View Post
Make the most of the rest, enjoy the gaming! I've got to the point where my reflexes don't come anywhere near those of a juvenile so I get my arse served to me on a plate playing FPS'es online so I've pretty much given up nowadays. I have the odd hour every once in a flood on a game or two.
I've put a fair amount of time into Andromeda now. It's the worst of the series for me but it's at least grown on me some. I hear you on the difficulty! I only play single player. I've always played them on Xbox and in ME1-3 thought I was pretty good - insanity was no problem. Now I'm barely making it by on normal and can't aim at all anymore. Over on the PC, I played (and really enjoyed) Wolfenstein, but again can't manage anything more than casual. I must be getting old!